Beef Stew with Bush Herbs
- 1kg diced gravy beef
- 1 large onion
- 2 large carrots
- 1 large potato
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons Rhyll Good Tucker pure bush tomato
- 1-2 teaspoons Rhyll Good Tucker mountain pepper leaf (according to taste-it is fiery!)
- Season beef chunks with salt and a small sprinkling of mountain pepper leaf..
- Heat oil in large pan and brown the meat.
- Remove meat from pan and saute the onion until translucent.
- Add browned meat, mountain pepper, sugar and enough water to cover.
- Simmer on very low heat until meat is tender, approximately 3-4 hours.
- Add diced potato and carrot, simmer until cooked.
- Stir in bush tomato.
- Mix cornflour with some water, add to stew and allow to thicken.
Creamy Smoked Trout Pasta
- 400g spaghetti or fettuccini
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- ¼ cup white wine
- 1 cup cream
- 6 to 8 spring onions, sliced finely
- 1 large Rhyll wood smoked trout, flaked
- Salt and pepper
- Cook pasta in salted water until al dente.
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan (preferably non-stick), add garlic and mushrooms, sauté for two minutes.
- Add white wine, cream and spring onions, bringing back to the simmer.
- Stir in the flaked smoked trout – be gentle so that it doesn’t break up too much.
- Season with salt and pepper to your liking.
- Serve with your cooked pasta.